Search this Blog

Pageviews

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Undistorted distorsion






A lazy, rainy saturday and massive shots of music, folks... I deeply enjoyed Jessamine's "The long arm of Coincidence" double vinyl and I realized, thanking my actual analog combo - i.e. Lenco G 88, Schick arm and Lumiere DST in Gotorama - that I'm a distorsion freak!

Amazing because I always guessed I WAS SEEKING FOR THE CLEANEST SOUND and the word distorsion alone sounds so... "wrong", don't you?;-)

... but, also when I dig into my beloved lute and theorbo music, I always fell in love for those growling double strings buzzing and random resonances... it's ancient music, acoustic instruments fuzz, 16th Century-style!

... same with Jack Casady's Alembic bass in Jefferson Airplane or Bob Weir in Grateful Dead... or Hugh Hopper's solo or with Soft Machine...

I love fuzz, larsens, distorsion... a single GOOD distorted note or sound makes my day... the lower, the better!

... but only today I sort-of get conscious I love the above... clean!

No added distorsion from music system, whatever from speakers, amps or cartridge... I love howling looong fuzz and growling bass...

In the a.m. Jessamine's disc, Dawn Smithson's bass guitar is low, LOOOW and bad as it can be; she plays it - would say - "unproperly" both as drum rhythm companion and a solo instrument...

Pure voodoo!

In the disc the bass sounds are masterfully recorded in group basement with an 8 tracks and it's often distorted, loud and baad...

Gotorama rendition of these sounds is awesome... clean, correct, BUT baaad...

A conclusion, a satisfied, Satori-like one?

An audiophile audio and music system should not only politely play string quartets or baroque, BUT everything please and give enjoyment.

... otherwise, we could sort-of be in someone else shoes, living someone else life...

It happened to me!

As wittily pointed out my vinyls pusher/friend Ivan, you'll be remembered as a TAS disc-list addict for all your life... and you could miss a tons of cool, nice music, maybe so-so recorded, BUT music, for you... me, food for mind and soul and body...

Music...

No comments: