Search this Blog

Pageviews

Thursday, June 23, 2011

"All the records of the world"


I still remember it... it possibly happened on Christmas' time, I was a boy, maybe 8 or 9 years old and music and vinyl records were a family treasure: both mom and dad had their tastes, mom classical music and italian pop songs (Adamo, Sergio Endrigo, Luigi Tenco, Gino Paoli) and daddy choral pop music and Caruso and Mario Lanza vocal music (romanze)... myself, italian pop music (Camaleonti, Dik Dik, Pooh) and U.K. rock (Renegades, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Kinks and... Rolling Stones... I remember I preferred them to Beatles;-))...

One day, after receiving as a gift a Rolling Stones' 45 r.p.m. I still own ("Have you seen your mother, baby, standing in the shadow") and which I was playing aaaall the daaaaay long, risking to consume it, I told to mom one day: "When I'll get older ((i.e. adult), I'd want to own ALL the records of the World!"

... yes, "of" the world, not "in" the... sort-of underlining every disc ever pressed, issued, conceived, produced everywhere, anytime...

Sounds a nightmare-like affaire, BUT a younger me sure was thinking about the pleasure involved in owning, collecting and listening to every music ever played.

I remembered and shared this episode with mom, later, several years later, before she passed away, and - yes - she also was aware of this strange - in a young boy - statement... she smiled when I told her, as she was amused by the Scrooge-like image of myself blissfully swimming in a vinyl depot-like warehouse... an huge vinyl pool... meters deep 45 and 33 and 78 r.p.m. discs which only my love for music was able to preserve from scratching;-)

Amusing, BUT those were the days, folks...

More seriously... how many records have been pressed on the Planet, both as a grand total vinyl slabs and as different titles?

... a question to make everyone eyes swirling... BUT Scrooge McDuck's;-)

No comments: