Search this Blog

Pageviews

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday at flea-market...


... I don't consider myself, music-wise, to be a penny-pincher... no... I always spent, and I guess will do since my last days, on music and related...

... but when - like this morning - I obtain this superbly high ratio of money vs. discs, I sure enjoy!

Paying 8 euros for three Deccas and two EMI's His Master's Voice: ALP 1595 Rostropovitch's Dvorak Cello Concerto and ALP 1281 Y. Menuhin's Mozart Violin Concertos nr. 4 and 5 in a sunny January's Sunday morning flea-market...

Enough for defining this a good day...

This bring me to pay attention to who owned these fine, almost mint conditions records in just a little battered covers...

The Dvorak is playing - in loop mode - since I was back home... a truly MARVELLOUS recording, indeed...

As always, I did some minor restoring to covers... some glue missing, and some cover cleaning, still quite shiny despite the recent open air market(s) life of abuses and the decades from pressing...

Who owned these records? Did him or her passed away? No sons, daughters, wives, nephews loving music around? Why some records take a jet-set;-) road to upmarket shops in Tokyo or NYC, while others, not less precious and sought after, became - peasantly - trunk sales goodies?

Records, vinyl records are really humble, innocent time capsules... they seems, sometimes, to be waiting for you... pfeeew... I was waiting for you.. good you found me, at last... was so cold on the tarmac, near old recipes books, magazines and AA's travel guides...

They seem to have their VERY own soul... I'm almost sure - as I'm listening a Decca Ashkenazy/Maazel's Scriabin Piano Concerto in F sharp - they own it.

Yes, when we're not anymore, things are changing hands... all the human paraphernalia, the adult toys we all own and cherish are useless, a load, a plethora which sometime - more than ever - is an heavy heirloom for any family, sure not an estate in the too often wrong hands around...

Already see the scene, in a future:... that "..............." (insert any word ending with "...ing" you like) - he spent a fortune in tons of black plactic, wood, paper and lamps!

Actually, black plastic (vinyl) and lamps (tubes) are one of the most shiny, intriguing and enriching aspects of my whole life... as paper (books) and wood (my instruments).

Hope my own stuff will finish in good hands, one day... as happened - as a second shot - to the Rostropovitch's and Menuhuin's and Ashkenazy's and Ricci's and Gamba's today.

No comments: