Search this Blog

Pageviews

Friday, January 22, 2010

THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE, WISHING WELL and GO YOUR WAY MY LOVE







The first time ever I saw your face, I thought the sun rose in your eyes, and the moon and stars were the gifts you gave, To the dark and empty skies my love, Dark and empty skies. The first time ever I kissed your lips I felt the earth move in my hand, Like the trembling heart of a captive bird That was there at my command, my love, That was there at my command. The first time ever I lay with you I felt your heart beat close to mine, And I knew our joy would fill the earth And would last till the end of time, my love, And would last till the end of time. The first time ever I saw your face, I thought the sun rose in your eyes, and the moon and stars were the gifts you gave, To the dark and empty skies my love, Dark and empty skies.




Wishing Well Wilt thou water Hide my burden Until I return, Return this way again. I will plant Red, red flowers Around your wall. When that wind Blows pebbles unto the water. Wishing Well Wilt thou water Hide my burden Until I return, Return this way again.





and




Drawing water from the well, spilling over on the grass, walking homeward, my heart is filled with pain, woe -oh oh oh oh is me, go your way my love, go your way my love. Drawing water from the well, spilling over on the grass, walking homeward, my heart is filled with pain, woe -oh oh oh oh is me go your way my love, go your way my love.





Three perfect songs, the first by Ewan Mc Coll, sung by Bert Jansch and the two latter by Anne Briggs as sung by Anne herself or Bert Jansch...



Here the blending of voice and lyrics and music reach peaks of pure magic...



I had, yesterday evening, a relaxed listening session of some Topic's ol' Anne Briggs' discs, followed by the CBS' second disc "The Time has Come" continuing to end the homely music evening with a couple of side by Bert Jansch: the classic "Jack Orion", "Birthday Blues" and "Moonshine", only to enjoy two versions of the The first time I ever saw your face and the superb Wishing Well...



What can I say... yes, Dave Goulder's "January Man" or "Rambleaway" or "Twa Corbies" - all from "Moonshine" - are masterpieces of good taste and distilled, weighted notes... but when Anne and Bert sings the three VERY songs I quoted... the birds stop singing, the leaves on the trees stand still, the babies stop crying, the policemen stop whistling and cars honking.



It's words and music and poetry... it's love in music... you see the naked souls of lovers, the desire... it's pure romance.



I was considering - while quietly seated on the sofa - it's several days I only listen to discs, not disks at all... I almost exclusively pick up a record from a shelf and listen to it from first to last groove... the pleasure is TRULY complete, I'm enjoying music, the audio system disappears as it should... only the emotion remains.




That's what we're ALL after...









No comments: