Search this Blog

Pageviews

Monday, January 11, 2010

Ears and hearing: again about watts and (acoustic) Watts








SPL, sound pressure level, (real life) acoustic watts and R.M.S. watts and their multi-level implications and links continue to intrigue me...

This happened to everyone... some rock or jazz or orchestral fortissimos and our couches shakes at music low-end tempo...

Nothing strange, you'll say... since I purchased my IVIE IE-30 Real Time Analyzer and I - finally - measured what was going on in my music room...

During a confortable listening session, the SPL is between 60 and 90-95 dbs at 2,3 meters, from source to my sweet spot...

During some hotter listenings, peaks may reach a 101/103 dbs level... drums, trumpets... you know...

No pain, usually, during the above levels exposures; I noticed and the couch begins to be shaken at music tempo on lower notes at about 80-85 db region with an average content of some weight around 50-500 to 1k hz... at SPL exceeding 90 db, also other frequencies are shaking the sofa.

Now... last evening I was lazily fingerpicking my old '64 Guild F-212 12 strings guitar tuned 2 steps lower than concert pitch... after some light fingerpicking, I began strumming and strumming... and when I felt the couch where I was sitting...
oh, oh?!?!

No... wasn't some farting-induced vibes;-)

... but the VERY same shaking I can appreciate during my music system listenings... was I strumming this loud?

I stopped playing, took the IVIE's RTA and measurement mike and put on a tripod...

Really curious to "see" how loud the Guild can play, I put the tripod with IE-30's at about the same distance than my sweet spot to my Gotorama speakers...

You won't believe, folks... while I was strumming, fingerpicking and strumming again, louder... asked my wife to take some records of the RTA's LED display in both SPL and frequencies: 100, also 103 dbs at 2,3 meters from instrument in a 5,5 x 4 x 3,05 (ceiling) room...

So the couch was shaken - more or less - by an humble acoustic solo instrument like it was by a scaled-down, reproduced orchestra...

A conclusion... better "one of the" possible conclusions: acoustic watts sure own an heavier nature, as an acoustic guitar reaches almost painful roaring power in a normal sized room...

My music system is, sort-of, reaching the maximum or nearby region which the room itself, leave alone my ears, can stand and support, without: distorting, being overloaded, becoming awfully sounding... also crashing windows glasses, behind the curtains.

As you remember, from an old Memorex' cassettes-tapes ad, Ella Fitzgerald's voice was (virtually) able to break a glass;-)))

I'm brought to guess it's not a matter of definitions (RMS, acoustic watts, etc.) or of "what" produces a given SPL or a digit "measuring" that, but the cold fact any room (or auditorium) have its overload limit, like any ear and person attached;-).

Between whispering and shouting there is a world... any RTA, like any ear, can detect this.

... but back to our couch... they also invented a contact, shaking speaker to be used in earthquakes simulations or in discos;-)... this tell us that any hearing process can be fooled... imagine a sofa with a couple of these contact sub-woofers, and you being hitted by some delicate violins music... come to my mind some Alpha label of Christina Pluhar's ancient music with percussions... a 65 db strings SPL with some low-bass reaching, via-couch, directly your body... the body/couch-hinted shaking will sure enhance (?!?!) musical experience... and will sure give an higher SPL perception.

like this;-)...

... also have a read to U.S. Patent # 7099489 - "The present invention relates to a multifunctional device, which is particularly applicable to a twin magnet loop (called TML) transducer with both vibrating and sound functions. The present invention integrates an inner and an outer magnet loop of TML into one device, which can be used as a vibrator and a speaker. A disc-shaped pole core, a flange bowl-shaped magnetic transfer, an annular pole piece, a cylindrical magnet and an annular magnet constitute the inner and outer magnetic loops; wherein the disc-shaped pole core is placed on the cylindrical magnet and centered with the flange bowl-shaped magnetic transfer; the annular magnet and the annular pole piece are overlaid together under the ring of the flange bowl-shaped magnetic transfer; the entire of the TML assembly is connected with a housing base via a resilient plate. Comparing with the existing technology, the present invention has the advantages of that it integrates the inner and the outer magnetic loop of TML into one multifunctional device and makes the device more compact and more efficient."

... but they already exists and are cheap gizmos... have a look at the above under-sofa pix... mmmmhhh...

Can't stop thinking about a super linear full horn system 200 to 20 khz and a 16 to 200 hz or so mighty couch-shaker... about Buttkicker's and price-list

... and, no, folks, I don't like "vibrators" (read "dildos";-)))))))

Must investigate...

No comments: